Saturday 4 October 2014

PROCRASTINATION

"Let me just clean my room before I start to work."
"I'm going to make some food before I open a textbook."
"I think I'll quickly update my blog before I do some work."
The list of things that you think of completing before doing work is endless. I see myself as the queen of procrastination. I will literally do anything I can to put off sitting down in front of the 1303 paged Kumar and Clarke's Clinical Medicine book.

What's worse about procrastination is the amount of self-loathing that comes with it when you think about the time that you've wasted carrying out pointless tasks that could have waited for another day. To say that someone has never procrastinated in their life would be a lie. It's a psychological behaviour that affects everyone at some point in their life, be it in a small or big way.

So why is learning how to get over procrastination important? Well if we think about it, putting off a stressful situation can ultimately lead to more stress. You become washed with a sense of helplessness and weakness. However, if you overcome this phenomenon; piece of mind and a feeling of purpose will be what accompanies you as you go through your daily life.

Here are a few ways in which I'm going to overcome this useless trait, hopefully it may help some of you too:

  • Being aware of the sinking feeling you get in your stomach when you realise you've wasted your time 
  • Actually realising that you're doing something unnecessary which can be done at a later day
  • Identifying the real reasons for your delay (lack of knowledge, time consuming)
  • Overcome these reasons in order to begin the task
  • Praise yourself at regular intervals in order to keep you motivated.

I hope I've helped and now I'm going to stop procrastinating by blogging and do some work before I get grilled at the hospital!



Image from Tumblr



No comments:

Post a Comment